This started happening after my company pushed Chrome 68 update (we were using Chrome 65 until then) almost a year back. If I start Chrome up, it runs all well for a while (ranging from 5 minutes to a few hours). Then Chrome stops responding. It won't load any pages. Funny thing is, after that if I try to access Safari, even that stops responding until I restart the system. If I switch back to the Chrome 65, everything starts to work fine.
This is happening with all Chrome versions that have been released ater Chrome 65. I have seen this issue on both High Sierra and Mojave.
My company uses a PAC file for automatic proxy configuration.