I recently got a 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.14.2 (Mojave). I'm running into a really long freeze when I bring it out of a long sleep (e.g. by opening the lid after keeping it in a bag overnight). Here are the symptoms:
- The computer will wake up and display the login screen. However, the password textbox is grayed out and does not say "enter password" and the menu bar widgets (such as battery, wifi, and the clock) are not displayed.
- Keyboard and trackpad are initially unresponsive for several minutes.
- Usually, the touchbar is on and the
fnkey can change the mode, but none of the softkeys have any effect. Though, a few times the
fnkey has had no effect changing the touchbar mode during some part of the freeze.
- Eventually the colorful spinning beachball cursor will appear, but the computer remains unresponsive. The beach ball will usually start frozen and not spinning, but start spinning a few minutes later.
- After 5-10 total minutes of waiting, the computer becomes responsive, password textbox becomes active, menu bar widgets are shown, and I can finally unlock it.
- Some of the time, the keyboard modifier keys get remapped to the defaults (I swap
commandbecause I also use Windows).
- Once during a freeze, the system crashed and rebooted. The crash report listed the OS as
Bridge OS 3.3 (16P3133)and the panic message was
userspace panic: remoted connection watchdog expired, no updates from remoted monitoring thread in 75 seconds.
What I've tried:
- Resetting the SMC (using both methods in the comment below)
- Repeatedly hitting keys in frustration during the freezes
- Resetting the PRAM
- Reinstalling the OS (in a way that kept all my data and apps)
- Reinstalling JAMF (apparently a newer version that's supposed to have fewer issues with Sierra)
- Wiping the disk and reinstalling the OS
- Getting the logic board and "touch id board" replaced at the Apple store under warranty, and reinstalled from a Time Machine backup. However, some people in this thread said their Bridge OS crashing issues were only resolved after several replacements.
None of these things have helped with the freezing problem.
- Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2 (and 10.14.3 and 10.14.5)
- Model: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018,
- Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, as well as an AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4096MB that seems to be rarely active
- Memory: 16 GB
- Kensington SD5200T Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station (archive link), connected via Thunderbolt 3
- Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad, which are configured but off since I haven't switched over to using this Mac
- Powered USB hub attached to the dock, with a Time Machine disk attached.
Other major software:
- Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Business Edition 14.1.0 (45387)
- Docker Desktop 220.127.116.11 (30215)
- Office 2016/Office 365
- FileVault encryption enabled (via Jamf policy)
- Trend Micro Security 3.0.3044 (via Jamf policy)
- Time Machine backup configured, using a HD connected to the docking station.