So, I've spent many hours trying to work an issue out with missing disk space after "uninstalling" Bootcamp on my c. 2014 500GB Macbook Air. I've consulted many of the posts on SE, some of which helped significantly, but after reinstalling the OS (10.14.1) from Internet Recovery mode the disk space is still not available (but I can see where it is I think!).
I am essentially wanting to know if there's a way to recover, merge or resize my disks (will provide terminal output below). I'm pretty sure the file system is now fairly confused, and trying to unravel this is somewhat outside of my level of expertise.
Here's an abridged overview of what I've done so far.
- Installed Bootcamp in 2017 (partitioned the 500GB HDD to 250GB for Mac and 250GB for Windows). When I uninstalled I don't think I used the Bootcamp uninstaller (my bad).
- After uninstalling I was left with the 250GB Mac HDD and was "missing" 250GB).
- This week I tried to i) identify where the missing space was, and ii) recover the missing space (merging it into the Mac space).
- I finally came across a post on AskDifferent suggesting that I turn on FileVault, and then boot to Internet recovery. After I did this I found the missing space (it appeared after the Recovery partition on /dev/disk20 or something).
- I spent several hours last night unmounting disks, unlocking the encrypted disk, unencrypting, using GPT to delete unused partitions etc. following previous posts.
- I opened disk utility and could see that the Macintosh HDD was on /dev/disk0 and the missing space was on /dev/disk20 (virtual) - I figured after reinstalling the OS that I'd have access to all of the space, but was mistaken. After reinstalling OS Mojave, I still only have the 250GB. The other 250GB seems to be residing on the internal virtual ("synthesized") disk.
Here's the output of diskutil list after the new install of OS Mojave last night:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 250.8 GB disk0s2 /dev/disk1 (synthesized): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: APFS Container Scheme - +250.8 GB disk1 Physical Store disk0s2 1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 46.8 GB disk1s1 2: APFS Volume Preboot 44.7 MB disk1s2 3: APFS Volume Recovery 512.8 MB disk1s3 4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk1s4
And of df -h:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree /dev/disk1s1 234Gi 43Gi 187Gi 19% 544593 9223372036854231214 devfs 185Ki 185Ki 0Bi 100% 639 0 /dev/disk1s4 234Gi 2.0Gi 187Gi 2% 2 9223372036854775805 map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% 0 0 map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% 0 0
I'm wondering if /dev/disk1s4 is where the "free space" is? (it's mount point it /private/var/vm).
Having spent hours reinstalling the OS, I'd ideally like to see if there's a fix to this issue that doesn't require a full rewrite.
If more into is needed, let me know and I'll happily add to the post.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!