I commonly swipe downward from the top of my iPhone screen to listen to Siri read the page displayed (enabled under
Settings / General / Accessibility / Speech / Speak Selection), or I tap-hold and highlight text then choose "speak" from the contextual pop-up menu (enabled under
Settings / General / Accessibility / Speech / Speak Screen).
I also commonly hear Siri mispronounce symbols, shorthand, and miscellaneous words. For example:
- "2018-10-19" (ISO-8601 date format) should be spoken as "two thousand eighteen, ten, nineteen", not "two thousand and eighteen to two thousand and ten minus nineteen".
- "w/" should be spoken as "with" (or at least as "double-u slash") not simply as "double-u".
- "/" should be spoken as "slash", not simply ignored.
- "---" should be "horizontal break" or "triple-hyphen" or anything, not simply ignored.
- "jean" should be spoken as the English noun "jean", not the French forename "Jean".
I've tried adding rules to
Settings / General / Accessibility / Speech / Pronunciations, to no effect (even after quitting all apps and rebooting).
- iOS 12
- iPhone 8
- Notes app, Twitter app, Gmail app, etc