I recently switched to using Macbook Pro MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and it is running MacOS High Sierra verison 10.13.6 . When I connect it to an external monitor (DELL U2414H) I notice that font display is grainy and fuzzy, as shown in this screenshot:
I am connecting to the external monitor via HDMI. I see similar display when I connect to the external monitor using Displayport.
I searched through the forums and I tried below approaches:
- forcing to RGB mode as explained here: https://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor.
- enabling/disabling _LCD Font Smoothing
- Setting various values to AppleFontSmoothing
(i.e. running the command
defaults write -g AppleFontSmoothing 2)
- Restart the machine multiple times, resetting NVRAM and SMC settings
- Open the app in low resolution mode
But none of these steps helped, and fonts on my external display still appear fuzzy. I understand that in the external monitor the fonts can't appear as crisp they are on built in display. But I didn't expect the fonts to appear fuzzy on the external monitor. FWIW I was using a Macbook with out retina display prior to switching to this model, and didn't had any issues with display of fonts in the external monitor as I am currently facing.
Is there a solution to make the fonts to appear without any fuzziness apart from buying a new external monitor ?