I have a strange issue - when I use the
git command which comes with the Command Line Tools package, the interface on the command-line is in English, as I want it to be. However, the version installed using Homebrew uses German in its output (I live in Germany, but my system language is set to US English and the computer was actually bought in Singapore, if it matters).
I believe this changed only recently. I had to give my Mac for repair and did so in a German store. Now that I have my computer back I noticed that Git's output is in German, not sure if they did anything to the system settings while they had it. As far as I know, this is the only command-line application that uses German as its language. Here is the output generated by the
LANG= LC_COLLATE="C" LC_CTYPE="UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="C" LC_MONETARY="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_ALL=
I would like to have Git talk to me in English. I know I can set the
LANG etc. to English and it would (probably) work, but I would also like to understand where this change may be coming from.
EDIT: to make things more interesting, I use another Mac that I got from work. It was bought in Germany, the initial language settings were German (which I changed to US English) and everything works fine on it, i.e. both Git installations (CLT and Homebrew) use English. Locale information from the
locale command is the same.