I tried the Japanese kana input method (prior to that I used romaji method) but it seems designed for Japanese hardware keyboard, which has one more key on the next to the right-shift key.

However on the US-English, there is no such redundant hardware key, making it impossible to type in ろ character.

So is there any way to type in ろ in US-English keyboard on macOS?

  • Is Unicode hex-input an option?
    – YourMJK
    Sep 11, 2018 at 19:57
  • It’s not impossible to type ろ -- this characater is just located at a different place on the US (ANSI) keyboard than on the Japanese (JIS) keyboard, on the shift level and one row higher up. Sep 12, 2018 at 13:00

1 Answer 1


Using the Japanese Hiragana Input Source, with the preference for Typing Method set to "Kana", you should find ろ at Shift plus け (the key marked ' on the US keyboard), next to the return key, as shown below:

enter image description here

Keyboard Viewer is useful for solving such problems.

  • 1
    maybe you care to explain how you got there
    – Ruskes
    Sep 11, 2018 at 23:43
  • How to type the "Shift plus"? Typing with Shitf key does not change anything.
    – Blaszard
    Sep 12, 2018 at 13:13
  • @Blaszard You don't type "plus", just Shift apostrophe ('). Do you not get ろ? Do you get け instead? Sep 12, 2018 at 13:21
  • @Blaszard Doesn't the shift key produce the punctuation marks on the right end of the bottom row for you -- 、。・ -- instead of ねるめ? Sep 12, 2018 at 13:40
  • @TomGewecke Ah I found I used Karabiner-Element to remap the keys, which makes it incompatible with your solution. But yours is the correct answer, thanks.
    – Blaszard
    Sep 12, 2018 at 13:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .