I just upgraded the CPU of my 2015 27" Retina iMac and while I was in there I took out the 1TB HDD and replaced it with a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD. Now I'm ready to set it all up, but I'm not sure how to best proceed.
- I know the SSD will be on a relatively slow SATA III bus
- I know the blade SSD is 24GB and on a faster bus
- I know I could use external Thunderbolt for a faster experience (should have considered this but too late)
- I've read mixed opinion on merging the two SSDs into a fusion drive, but most people suggest against it, since:
- the speed of both drives will be reduced to the slower of the two
- if one drive fails I will lose everything
I currently think I should keep them separate and use the 24GB SSD for the OS and use the other SSD for the home folder. Does this seem like a good way to proceed?
I am not sure which file system to use (APFS?)
I am not sure if I should be doing something with TRIM to extend the lifespan of the drives
If anyone can help guide me I would appreciate it. Thanks.