I am trying to connect to a VPN network using a OpenVPN profile I have imported to Shimo, but it fails showing this message.
Shimo could not load its tun/tap kernel extensions, which are required by the used VPN protocol. Maybe you have some other VPN software running, which uses similar kernel extensions?
Could not load kernel extension with identifier: net.sf.tuntaposx.tun
- I had another vpn app installed which I removed using AppCleaner and restarted my laptop.
- The .ovpn file is correct for sure because it is used by another pc and it connects successfully.
- Shimo is connecting successfully to other VPN networks such as PPTP.
- I have also manually created another profile using username/password instead of the stored certifications to connect to that OpenVPN and the outcome is the same.
- For debugging I run
kextstat | grep -e tun -e tapbefore Shimo started and there are no results.
- I run it again after Shimo started, again no results.
- And I run it again after error message is shown and this is the result.
194 0 0xffffff7f83db6000 0x7000 0x7000 net.sf.tuntaposx.tap (1.0) 3D2DEB8A-5419-3CFC-A44F-AE197B319324 <7 5 4 1>
- After that I execute
sudo kextunload -b net.sf.tuntaposx.tapand the kext is unloaded successfully.
- Then again when I try to connect the same error message is shown and the kext is loaded again.
I am using:
- Shimo 220.127.116.11
- macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
I have found also some guides indicating that I should execute
sudo rm -fr /Library/Extensions/tap.kext and
sudo rm -fr /Library/Extensions/tun.kext and reinstall Shimo, but I fear this could cause more problems.
Any thoughts? (Thanks for your time)
I have now installed Tunnelblick and imported the same .ovpn file and it connects successfully.