This is an attempt to write a canonical QA for this issue, as per the Meta post: Where is the list of canonical questions stored for Ask Different? I expect it to be periodically edited with the goal of becoming a comprehensive information resource.
How can I change the application that normally opens when I...
Open a link or a file
- Make FTP open with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc. instead of Finder
- Set my default Mail, News or RSS reader
- Have ssh connections open in iTerm but Telnet open in Terminal
- Open a music app like Vox (anything but iTunes) for music
- Open a
zipfile with WinZip for Mac instead of Finder
- Do nothing when a file or URL is selected/opened
Connect a media device (camera, webcam, CD/DVD, etc.)
- Prevent Photos from opening when I attach my camera
- Run a script when I plug in a webcam
- Automatically launch a Handbrake (or another app) when I insert an Audio CD
Also, is it possible to see, define, or edit what files, extensions are opened by Applications? For example, I want...
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Archive Utility
Using CommandI is very useful for setting specifc apps, but I want a more "global" solution to set specifics for each application and or extension.
Is there a way to do this easily on macOS?