I am trying to troubleshoot a 2010 Macbook Pro with a trackpad that won't register clicks. The trackpad makes the click-clack noise and it can be used as a pointer with no issues, but the clicks don't register. I've read this question and I'm trying to figure out if there's anything else to try before I open it up to examine the battery/screws (as seen here). Here's what I've tried.
- Checked to see if the laptop will work/click with external mouse. Yes.
- Checked to see if it happens on other user accounts. Yes.
- Checked to see if I can turn on "tap to click" in System Preferences. Yes.
- Checked Accessibility Settings in System Prefrences just in case.
- Ran Disk Utility to verify/repair permissions.
- Did an SMC reset.
- Upgraded the OX from 10.6.8 to El Cap, no change
I don't see any evidence of battery swelling but that seems to be the next step. The trackpad clicks but it definitely clicks more on the bottom than on the top, if that makes sense. The laptop belongs to my elderly landlady who would prefer it works the same as always, even though she's been able to use it with a mouse. I'm not sure tap to click is going to solve the issue for her. Anything else I can try? Thanks.