I have a Mid-2014 Macbook Pro I have tried to update to 10.13.4 from 10.13.3 a few times now, but everytime the result is the same: The update gets stuck after rebooting on the black screen with the progress bar.
- The bar gets stuck at about 75% after around 30 minutes
- I have let it be for many hours (overnight), no progress
- If I turn the computer off and on again, it gets stuck at the same place
- I seem to be unable to enter "safe mode" (holding down shift at power-on). I am however able to get into recovery mode.
- First I tried just using the App Store update; this has previously always worked for me.
- After restoring from time machine, I tried again, this time using the combo update. Same result.
- I am back up and running now, having restored (yet again) from time machine, but still at 10.13.3. I'd still like to upgrade, but I don't know how to proceed. What are my options? "Re-install OS X" from recovery mode?
- If it gets stuck on an update again (or some other time), how do I diagnose what it's stuck on next time? I see I can get to a terminal from recovery mode, but I don't know what logs to look in and what to look for - what's the way to better understand a stuck update?