I recently bought a NAS (Synology DS218+) to help with backing up several Macs in my household using Time Machine. So far, each Mac has been backed up on individual hard drives.
I am trying to perform a backup of my internal SSD (500GB), as well as my my external HDD (around 1.1 TB of data). So, I am trying to backup 1.6TB at the moment via Time Machine as the initial backup.
My first attempt to get this to work, was by following Synology's instructions. I was able to discover the Time Machine folder on my NAS and TM started it's initial backup. After several GB of data transfer the backup stopped. No error message but not even near completion. Time Machine stated: 'Waiting to complete first backup'. Nothing happened after that. It transferred around 9GB of data but that was it. In case I did a mistake setting up the folder and user on my NAS, I reset the NAS and started from scratch. Same result... After a couple GB the NAS was again stuck and said 'Waiting to complete first backup'.
After some research I found a helpful Synology thread. I disabled HDD hibernation, disabled AFP. In a nutshell these are my current settings:
File share configuration:
- I use BTRFS
- "Advanced data integrity protection" is enabled
- Encryption is disabled (for now - would like to have it but want to be able to get backups working first)
- Standard user with a strong, random password.
- Granted read/write access to Time machine file share and set quota of 3TB.
- I have SMB enabled only - AFP is disabled.
- Enabled Bonjour Service Discovery and Bonjour Time Machine broadcast via SMB.
- Selected the Time Machine Folder
While all my first attempts were to get the initial TM backup to work over WIFI, I also tried connecting the NAS directly to my Mac. I enabled DHCP on my NAS, connected it via an ethernet cable to my Mac and started another backup. It got further than via wifi but again, it did not finish the backup. I let my Mac run over night, staying connected to my NAS, hoping the backup would finish... In the morning I was greeted by the same message again: 'Waiting to complete first backup'.
My Mac's power options are the following:
- Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display if off [ENABLED]
- Put hard disk to sleep when possible [DISABLED]
- Wake for network access [ENABLED]
- Enable Power Nap while plugged into a power adapter [ENABLED]
Now, I am stuck too. I cannot think of what else I could possibly try to get Time Machine to backup to my NAS. This really has been some struggle so far... Looking forward to hear any thoughts and ideas :-)
Thank you very much in advance,