This is essentially a repost of a previous question I asked a while back, but a few things have changed and I never got a working answer, so I thought I should post again.
My friend has been on iPhone for a while (in case you read the old question, after the Note 7 recall fiasco he went back to iPhone so the problem went away until now) and has now switched to a Note 8 running Android. He is currently able to text me fine, and it shows up in Messages as an SMS in the existing chat history we've had for ages (green bubbles now, not blue as before). My replies however, are never received by him. The do not fail to send, they are just never received.
Here are some more facts:
- I am the only person he has this problem with, other users both on Android and iOS can receive and reply to his texts without incident.
- He was on Sprint when he had the Note 7, but is on Verizon now with the Note 8. I am also on Verizon.
- My wife had an iPhone 4S at the time he had the Note 7, but we both currently have iPhone SEs (hers on iOS 9, mine on iOS 10)
- I am able to make and receive phone calls to/from him, so his phone number is not blocked in my phone.
- With my wife's SIM card in my phone, I am unable to text him. With my SIM card in her phone, I am able to text him without incident.
- I had previously deleted his contact from my phone entirely (losing all the chat history to date) but nothing changed.
We are at our wits ends with this but refuse to let it go. There's got to be some explanation for this, we just can't figure out what it is.