iMessage and FaceTime throw an activation error any time I try to login on both of my devices (Mac Mini 2011 and iPad Pro 9.7). This happens since Dec 20 and I can't fix it.
It looks that I have tried everything that is told when you google for "imessage authentication/activation error" / "could not sign in to imessage" / "iMessage doesn't work" and other stuff:
- obviously reboot
- set the time to auto-since with Apple servers
- reset nvram on Mac
- remove sim from iPad and put it back in
- reset network settings
- logout and log back in to iCloud via System Preferences
- change Apple ID password, disable/enable two-step auth
- "wait 24 hours"
- tried both with home Wi-Fi and via cellular data on iPad
- finally... created NEW Apple ID first on Mac, then created another one on iPad.
... and it doesn't work.
All my software is up to date and I can successfully use iCloud storage and everything else that includes interaction with Apple ID - except of FaceTime and iMessage.
The curious thing is that it stopped working simultaneously on both my devices. The more curious thing is the impossibility to use another Apple ID - I have created three new Apple IDs trying to fix the problem.
I don't have an iPhone and never had.
This sounds ridiculous to happen at all. Has anyone encountered the similar problem?
I'm not sure what could have triggered that. I haven't changed my devices recently. I don't use VPN.