So my MacBook Pro has been experiencing some weird issues after an unprompted and unexpected shut down. When I turned it back on, it claimed there was a “critical software update” and asked to choose a WiFi network. So I did so and it installed and after two minutes it was done. However, the USB C ports on the left side had stopped working. I was using a satechi adapter and removed it to find that the charging cable only works on one of the two ports now. The right side ports will work with the adapter usually. I did a SMC reset and reinstalled High Sierra, so before I do a full wipe I want to see if anyone can give me an answer.
So today I had another look at the laptop with this looping issue. Having tried nearly anything else I decided to replace the display. THE LAPTOP NOW WORKS FLAWLESSLY!
Booted to the OS without issue. When I installed the original display the problem re-occured. With a new display the touch bar is working fine, MRI passed, touch bar diags passed and the unit is booting and rebooting without any critical update requirement.
Have had this the past few days and have some information which may be of use here - Programs like 'Hands Off' and 'Little Snitch' (essentially ingoing/outgoing network traffic blockers/gatekeepers) were the cause of this not installing for me - if this happens, then boot into safe mode (Hold down shift when turning on) and disable the program, then restart and install.
As a side, conversations with apple advised that these updates are to do with the OS that runs the touchbar (among other things) therefore, if you can get into safe mode, this should confirm its not a hardware issue.
Some generic “fixes” like nvram/pram reset won’t solve or help for this issue.
Full clean install, installation on top of existing only fixes this half way. If you want to avoid a reinstall - try this workaround:
ctrl+alt+shift+power to turn off the device Connect your macbook to the network WIRED with usbC->ethernet or usbC->thunderbolt,thunderbolt->erhernet, just like me
Turn the device on. The boot takes longer but it boots!
I did this 10 times to reproduce every time with the following results:
disconnected wired network, restart == critical update loop
power down with key combination, connect wired network, power on == booting
I have no persistent remedy for this issue. Everyone please try this, and edit this to be more clear if there’s a workable and repeatable solution here.
p.s. This workaround seems not to work on encrypted machines.
I just now figured some weird plist files inside /Library/LaunchDaemons/
Actually a script of my own... Anyways it seemd to block the embeddedOS activation. When moving it to the LaunchAgents it boots fine now.