I am facing a really perplexing issue where I am unable to use the same settings on two identical monitors.
- 2016 MacBook Pro 15" on OS 10.12.6
- Two Asus PB287Q 4K displays
- Both connected using USB-C -> DisplayPort cables
- One monitor is vertical and the other is horizontal
- Rotating so both or horizontal does not change the options available
As you can see from the image below, despite everything being the same (as far as I can tell), I am able to use scaled HiDPI settings on the 2nd monitor but not the first.
Would anyone know what could cause this? Or better yet, what can be done so that I can use scaled HiDPI settings on both monitors?
Notes / Links:
- I have seen this article about how maybe it's a software bug, but that wouldn't explain why it works on the second monitor and not on the first
- I have tried installing Additional Tools for Xcode 9 to enable HiDPI in the quartz settings, but wasn't sure how to get to the new tools.
- I have tried running the terminal command 'sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true' but even after logging out and back in again I couldn't see any changes in the options presented to me.
- Lastly, I can hold the option key when selecting scaling and pick the 'low resolution' 1440 x 2560 resolution, but what is displayed is not HiDPI and therefore highly pixelated.