My setup is this:
- MacBook Pro TouchBar Late 2016 (15'')
- a Dell P2415Q display, connected via USB-C → DisplayPort cable
- External keyboard, mouse, connected wirelessly (through dongles/hub/then usb-c cable) + an Apple bluetooth trackpad.
- the MacBook stays in clamshell mode.
For some time now, waking up the Mac using the external keyboard/mouse/trackpad has stopped working, because the display fails to wake up. I have to open the lid for the ext display to show anything (and then close it again).
The Mac itself does wake up. If I blindly press a key, type in my password, and press Return, after opening the lid, I will be logged in.
It's the display that won't wake up.
Here's the things I've tried:
- Clean up all the system caches, NVRAM, SMC
- Reset display settings
- Try a different port to connect the display
- Try disconnecting everything else except AC and display cable
- Disable automatic GPU switching
- Disable all kexts (except for Karabiner, which I don't know how to unload. I tried running my Mac in Safe Mode, but, ridiculously, it fails to boot in Safe Mode.)
This little issue drives me absolutely mad. Please advise.