How can I figure out which Apple ID to use for purchasing and not end up with more confusion with @mac.com @me.com and @icloud.com email aliases that all belong to one iCloud account?
(I apoligize for dropping a bit of a mess here, but the back story is how I got here and hopefully has details to help solve my dilemma.)
I have never really understood the handling of usernames and passwords for iTunes, MobileMe and the app support web site and now with the introduction of iCloud, I sink to another deeper level of confusion. Please bear with me as I described my scenario:
I restored a backup of my older iPhone to a new iPhone 4s and it won't accept my password to get into the App Store to update apps.
I think when I first set up the new 4s I might have accidentally given it a version of my username (using email@example.com when it really was firstname.lastname@example.org or something like that.) I think it went and set up a new iCloud account for me. Guessing this I deleted the new iCloud account and was able to get the iPhone to properly log in on my previous iCloud/MobileMe account, email@example.com. Anyway, somewhere along the line things got confused.
Here's where things stand afaik:
- I can sync with iCloud on my computer and iPhone and they are all talking to the same account
- I see my email, my calendar, my address book and all seems correct
- I can get into the iTunes store on my computer (with the firstname.lastname@example.org and the password)
- on the iPhone it refuses to accept my the same password when entering the app store. (Not 100% sure what user name is used in that particular instance.)
- AND on the Mac, going into the App Store (NOT the iTunes store) I was able to log into that account, but it appeared to have started a new account because the apps that I have bought in the past don't appear. In other words it looks like I have a second APP STORE account.
So we end up with the question at the top of this post - How can I sort out confusion between Apple ID and passwords?