I bought an Apple TV but the remote didn’t come with it (used). I was told I could just use the Apple TV remote app on my phone. So I powered up Apple TV , connected it to router with Ethernet cable so it's on the same network as my iPhone. On the Apple TV remote app - it connects but wants a 4 digit code to be entered on the Apple TV. I can't do that with no remote and the Apple remote app gives no other options!!! How do I enter that code without the actual remote?
Yes, there is a way out of this conundrum, assuming you have a bluetooth keyboard? It doesn't have to be an Apple bluetooth keyboard, any bluetooth keyboard should work.
Follow these steps:
- Disconnect the keyboard from the device it's currently being used with and switch it off
- Switch on the Apple TV
- Switch on the keyboard
- Your Apple TV should recognise the keyboard and prompt you with a code
- Enter the code using the keyboard
- Once the keyboard is paired, you can use it to navigate through the Settings and add your Apple Remote app
- Once connected and everything is okay, switch off your keyboard and reconnect it to its original device
Let me know if you run into any problems.