What steps should be taken to move an existing Time Machine backup from an AirPort Time Capsule to a NAS?
Apple describes how to do this when the source and destination are both AirPort Time Capsules: How to move Time Machine backups from one AirPort Time Capsule to another
My initial approach
- Setup NAS per the QNAP instructions for multiple Macs resulting in a SMB shared folder on its own volume and a corresponding user with Read/Write permission to the shared folder
- Connect to the Time Capsule "Data" share from the Mac
- Connect to the NAS share from the Mac, using the QNAP instructions for multiple Macs
- Drag the sparse bundle from the "Data" share to the NAS shared folder
- Point Time Machine on the Mac to the NAS shared folder