Reddit - Apple secretly releases iTunes 12.6.3, which reintroduces the ability to download App Store apps (.IPA) from your PC or Mac while supporting iOS 11 and iPhone 8
Apple has secretly released iTunes 12.6.3 on its enterprise support help page, which reintroduces the ability to download App Store apps (.IPA) from your PC or Mac while supporting iOS 11, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.
- This build of iTunes supports macOS High Sierra (10.13), macOS Sierra (10.12), OS X El Capitan (10.11) and OS X Yosemite (10.10).
- This build of iTunes is specially blessed by Apple, allowing you to install this on top of iTunes 12.7.
- Your iTunes Library will still not be compatible after installing iTunes 12.6.3 on top of iTunes 12.7. You either need to revert to a backed up copy of your previous library, or you need to open iTunes while holding down the Option key (or Shift key on a Windows PC) on your keyboard, then choose "Create a new Library".
- After install this build of iTunes, your Mac App Store will no longer see iTunes 12.7 as 'newer' than iTunes 12.6.3. You can still manually update to iTunes 12.7 by downloading the installer.
- This version of iTunes also supports iTunes U, Ringtones and Audiobooks.
Version linked is now 12.6.4 as of April '18. Same functionality & no auto-updates via App Store once installed, unless you update the main OS, eg to Mojave [which installs 12.9], or re-install from scratch to the latest High Sierra [12.7].
Note: 12.6.4 has a limited life. I think it fails at iOS 11.3 leaving you with the choice of keeping your apps or forevermore updating iOS OTA not via iTunes.
Apple's Configurator 2 might be a viable alternative.