After upgrading Aquamacs to version 3.3, many modes turned on auto-fill-mode. I've followed the answers from questions such as "How can I disable auto-fill mode in emacs?" to disable it, but without complete success. Specifically, I:
- set line-wrapping option to "Wrap" (Options→Line Wrapping→Wrap)
- turned off "Auto-Detect Line Wrap in Text Files"
- set line-wrapping options as default (Options→Line Wrapping→Adopt as Default)
- saved options
added lines to .emacs to disable mode globally:
(auto-fill-mode -1) (remove-hook 'text-mode-hook 'auto-detect-wrap)
(auto-fill-mode nil)to hooks for specific modes (e.g. html-mode, nxhtml-mode, xhtml-mode).
set text mode hook in customizations.el to disable auto-fill-mode:
'(text-mode-hook '((lambda nil (auto-fill-mode nil)) smart-spacing-mode))
Despite these changes, auto-fill-mode is enabled for some newly opened files (e.g. txt, html, svg) in Aquamacs (the system emacs also enables auto-fill-mode when entering html-mode, but not text-mode). I've grepped for
auto-fill in the load path directories that exist but haven't found anything that appears to be enabling it:
- ~/Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs/
- ~/Library/Application Support/Emacs/
- /Library/Application Support/Aquamacs Emacs
Where else might auto-fill-mode be enabled? How can I fully disable auto-fill-mode?