As of iTunes 12.7, Apple now advises manually adding custom ringtones to iPhone per their support article here.
Apple's instruction is to drag and drop tones from Finder to the "Tones" section of my device in iTunes. This method works to add tones to my phone. However, I can't discern how to remove ringtones from my phone.
- I've tried clicking the tones in iTunes and pressing delete, without and with various modifier keys.
- I've checked the contextual menu under control-click (right-click) of the tones in iTunes.
- I've tried dragging the tones out of iTunes.
- I've poked around in iPhone settings and iTunes menubar and prefs.
- I've tried deleting files from my Mac at
~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Tones/and re-syncing my iPhone.
Any further ideas? Thank you.