I just got my new MacBook Pro and the fingerprint is available only after sleep but not when starting the laptop. Is that the normal behavior?
Yes this is normal behaviour.
Like on an iOS device, Touch ID is unavailable immediately after a restart.
Note that you must type your password to log in after you start up, restart, or log out
In some situations, you need to enter your password instead of using Touch ID:
- If you've just restarted your Mac
- If you've logged out of your user account
- If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
- If you haven't unlocked your Mac in more than 48 hours
- If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints