In a Mac OS X native textfields, misspelled and typo'd words are underlined with a red squiggle.

Is there a standard keyboard shortcut that will correct a mispelling by selecting the most-likely correction?

This should work in all native textfields. The solution should not be limited to a single app.

misspelled words in macOS document

It's already possible to Right Click a misspelled word. I'd like a keyboard shortcut to bring up a similar feature, so that I don't have to manually Right Click each word individually.

The feature could correct each word, one-by-one, allowing you to select each correction. Or, it could use the best guess for all misspelled words in the document.

correcting spelling via Right Click


You can't correct them in a single click, but you can make it start to go though them in bulk, correcting each on the way.

Cmd ⌘ : [which on a UK keyboard is actually Cmd ⌘ Shift ⇧ ; ] will pop up the Spelling & Grammar checker, allowing you to select each error in turn & correct it [or ignore, learn etc]

enter image description here

Alternatively ... Edit Menu > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar

  • Thanks for the answer. Once you're opened this panel with a keyboard shortcut, it unfortunately still needs plenty of mouse clicks to operate. More than the right-click suggestions even. I'm hoping to find something that's automatic or driven entirely by the keyboard... – pkamb Aug 11 '17 at 22:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .