I'm using back quote many times but never use the '§' symbol.

I'd like to change the key to always write back quote instead. does anyone know how can I change it programtically?

enter image description here

  • 3
    Note that there is already a back quote on your keyboard (left of the Z). – Glorfindel Jul 25 '17 at 9:14

You can use Karabiner to remap keys on your keyboard.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <name>Section to Back quote</name>
      KeyCode::UK_SECTION | ModifierFlag::NONE,
| improve this answer | |

An easier way with Karabiner is to just add a new Simple Modification (the first tab in Karabiner):

From key: non_us_backslash
To key: grave_accent_and_tilde (`)

Here's a screenshot of that:

Screenshot of Karabiner interface with this setting added

Why is that called non_us_backslash and not §?

The "non us backslash" is probably any key directly below the esc key (or the touchbar) (source: this issue).

On the English International, UK English, Dutch, Polish etc. keyboards, that's the key that produces the section symbol §.

| improve this answer | |

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .