I'm running the latest macOS (10.12.6) and something keeps annoying me a lot with Spaces: if you have an external monitor plugged in and spend some time configuring/customising your spaces placement, when you unplug the monitor, everything is semi-randomized. Semi, because most of the spaces will stay in the same order, but the number of spaces and the location of the spaces will still change.
Here is what I have when the monitor is plugged in:
- space 1: empty
- space 2: app
- space 3: app
- space 4: empty
- mac book screen
- space 5-10: app (1 per space)
- space 11: empty
When I unplug the monitor, it becomes this:
- space 1: apps that was previously on space 5 and 6
- space 2-3: ok, same apps as before
- space 4-5: empty
- space 6: app that was previously on space 7
- space 7: app that was previously on space 8
- ^ repeat up to space 9 / previously space 10
- space 10: empty
- no more space 11
This is mostly annoying because I use keyboard shortcut to move between spaces, so basically I have a mental mapping of shortcut to app, but then it's all mixed up as soon as I unplug the monitor.
Is there a way to prevent this behaviour?