I have a MacBook Pro 15" (mid 2014, running Sierra). Recently, it has started black screening and shutting off shortly after, after a few minutes' use—let's say 3 to 10 minutes. The screen will go black but the LCD backlight will remain on for about 5 seconds, then the laptop will completely shut off.
I have reset PRAM and the SMC. Things I have determined:
- The built-in hardware test passes
- Problem is not tied to my user account (occurs when I'm logged in to another freshly created user)
- Problem is not tied to my OS installation (I wiped and re-installed)
- Problem does not manifest itself in Safe Mode or when booted into Windows 10. (Also didn't manifest during OS X re-installation.)
- Problem does not seem to be overheating: I can game with no issues on Windows, graphics performance and fans are fine.
This behaves like a classic overheating problem, but I'm stumped due to some of the weirdness of it not being an issue in safe mode or Win 10. Any thoughts?