I received my brand new iMac today. During installation/startup, I was surprised to find that I could not log in to iCloud. I skipped, figuring it was a minor glitch and I would do it after setting up the new computer account.
I have discovered that I cannot log on to anything on this brand new computer. I get a different error phrasing with each app, but they all basically state that "An unknown error occurred." I contacted Apple, got bumped to level 2 support, and now we are working with engineering to diagnose. I thought I would see if anyone has any other ideas or similar experiences.
Here is what I know:
- This started from the moment I turned the computer on for the first time, where you initially are supposed to login to iCloud.
- I cannot login to iCloud, iTunes, or the App Store from this iMac.
- When I login, each app gives a slightly different error message but they are all consistent.
- When I login, I get a spinning "wait" icon that lasts about 20-30 seconds, then a message comes up.
- Apple app store and iTunes store says "an unknown error occurred".
- iCloud says "Verification failed. An unknown error occurred."
- I can login to both icloud.com and appleid.apple.com on the new iMac without a problem.
- I can login to all of these apps on my Macbook Pro without a problem.
- I can login to all of these apps on my iPad 2 and iPhone 6 without a problem.
- My wife cannot login to her own app accounts on this new iMac computer.
- I tried booting into safe mode, still could not login to anything.
- Apple support had me make a secondary "test" account on the new iMac, still could not log in from there.
- I have tried wired ethernet, home WiFi, and AT&T cellular WiFi via iPhone personal hotspot -- same problems.
- I reset the computer, and also reset the router and modem, no dice.
- We ran Disk Utility, no problems.
- I tried changing the computer date to one day ahead, this did not help.
- We reinstalled MacOS, that did not work.
Any help or insight would be tremendously appreciated. Fair warning, I have a duplicate post on the Apple forums just to broaden my net, sorry if that is inappropriate in any way.