I am curious exactly what USB Type-C alternate modes (and variations of those modes) are supported on the MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016). I've done some searching on the internet, but I've been unable to find any credible source of information on the subject. I would consider a credible source of information to be:
- Official Apple technical documentation explicitly describing all supported USB Type-C alternate modes which are supported on the device. (All I've found so far is marketing info, which isn't specific enough)
- Analysis of USB PD traffic which might indicate supported alternate modes and capabilities.
- Some sort of command-line utility or tool which is able to dump this information.
I already know that the USB Type-C ports on this machine support the following alternate mode configurations:
- 4 lanes using Thunderbolt 3.0
- 4 lanes using DisplayPort 1.2
- 2 lanes using DisplayPort 1.2 and 2 lanes using USB 3.1
But I'm pretty sure it supports additional variations.