I recently migrated my macbook 12" to a macbook pro (touchbar). I used the migration assistant to transfer a backup from the old mac to the new one. At first all was successful apart from a slight issue with the incompatible OS version between the two machines. (I had to update before migrating)
I am running Sierra(10.12.5 (16F73)) on the new machine. I am now facing a number of issues with the machine, I would guess its a permission thing. I think but cannot be certain that vmware fusion has something to do with the issue because it was the last program I tried to install from the old backup before seeing issues. (I had to kill the installation)
- safari opens and appears to load a page, but just sits there - no matter what the url is. Chrome and Firefox work perfectly well and other programs do not have an issue getting an internet connection.
- mac store updates do not work, when I click update on an app, I see: "We could not complete your update. Unknown error"
I noticed that the owner of my application (located at
/Library/*) is as follows:
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 30 Jun 2016 Safari.app
- Should root own these applications?
- How can I debug this issue with safari and the app store updates?
- Any thoughts what could cause behaviour like this?
So far, I have tried, neither worked:
- Repairing disk permissions using the 'first aid' tool in disk utility.
- Reinstall OS (restart,
cmd+r, Reinstall OS)