My laptop wasn't charging for a while, so I forgot the password for it. I went to log back in, and when I remembered I forgot the password, I went to reset it with my apple id, all the info was correct, I even changed the pass and email used, but it still wasn't working. I'm not sure what to do. I have a Mac Book Air.
You can reset your user password directly from your MacBook Air.
Resetting password from Recovery Mode
To reset your password from Recovery Mode, follow these steps:
- Power off your Mac
- Boot into Recovery Mode by pressing the power button while holding down CommandR
- If prompted, select your language and press enter
- Choose Utilities > Terminal.
- Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters)
- Press Return
- Select the drive with your account (typically the main drive)
- Choose your account using Select the User Account.
- Enter a new password
- Re-enter the same password
- Enter a password hint
- Click Save
- Ignore the warning about the password changing
- Click OK.
- Shutdown the Mac using Apple > Shut Down
- Restart the Mac normally and use the new password to log into your account
Let me know how you go or if I misunderstood your question.
You must log in to answer this question.
protected by Community♦ May 8 '17 at 6:07
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?