I could install a python package (for example,
numpy) on my Mac either via Macports:
port install py-numpy
pip install numpy
What are the general pros/cons of each approach? When should each approach be used?
- When should I prefer one over the other?
- Does it matter whether the package I'm installing is small or large (e.g.
- Does it depend on the version of python I'm using (
3.x, or Apple's
- Does it matter whether I have multiple versions of
pythoninstalled on my Mac?
- Can they be used concurrently?
I'm hoping for an answer that has a short listing of some pros/cons of each approach with some discussion about when to choose one over the other.