Goal: clone my internal disk to an external disk, and boot from the external disk.
update thanks klanomath, who pointed out that I had to change the uuid of the core storage disk for both the internal and external disk to be present at the same time. I tested the external disk on a different mac and it works perfectly. I have not tried to change the UUID as my idea is to now wipe the internal disk anyway.
I used dd to make a clone and verified the md5 sums.
At boot, I can choose from all the expected volumes: "Untitled", "Windows", and with external-disk-symbol: "Untitled", "Windows".
Regardless of which "Untitled" I choose, it ends up booting up using the internal disk. Any ideas as to why? How I could I fix it?
How I made the clone:
I booted into Linux from a USB stick, no other filesystem was mounted, I proceeded to make the copy:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync
I verified that the md5 sums of the entire /dev/sda matched the equivalent size on /dev/sdc.
Info about the disks
Once in OS X (from the internal disk using "Untitled"), this is what I see with diskutil list:
$ diskutil list /dev/disk0 (internal, physical): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *751.3 GB disk0 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_CoreStorage Untitled 689.4 GB disk0s2 3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 650.0 MB disk0s3 4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 61.0 GB disk0s4 /dev/disk1 (internal, virtual): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: Untitled +689.1 GB disk1 Logical Volume on disk0s2 137B561F-8819-4ABD-BFBF-DD8F3A997D60 Unlocked Encrypted /dev/disk2 (external, physical): #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk2 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1 2: Apple_CoreStorage 689.4 GB disk2s2 3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 650.0 MB disk2s3 4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 61.0 GB disk2s4
In Disk Utility the only volume that shows up for /dev/disk2 is BOOTCAMP.
Running fsck_cs on both disk2s2 (the external disk's core storage) and on disk0s2 (the internal disk's core storage), I get equivalent output and the volume seems fine.
Perhaps the issue is that there are two volumes (on different disks) with the same UUUD? (9EE93F75-E7F0-40C2-B562-6A8733A6EB16)
$ sudo fsck_cs -n -l log.txt disk2s2 Password: Executing fsck_cs (version 540.30.1) ** Checking volume ** disk2s2: Scan for Volume Headers ** disk2s2: Scan for Disk Labels ** Logical Volume Group 9EE93F75-E7F0-40C2-B562-6A8733A6EB16 on 1 device ** disk2s2: Scan for Metadata Volume ** Logical Volume Group has a 17 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancy ** Start scanning metadata for a valid checkpoint ** Load and verify Segment Headers ** Load and verify Checkpoint Payload ** Load and verify Transaction Segment ** Load and verify Transaction Segment ** Incorporate 1 newer non-checkpoint transaction ** Load and verify Virtual Address Table ** Load and verify Segment Usage Table ** Load and verify Metadata Superblock ** Load and verify Logical Volumes B-Trees ** Logical Volume Group contains 1 Logical Volume ** Load and verify 4F52DBC8-6A69-4099-82B4-5E437C4CEA74 ** Load and verify 137B561F-8819-4ABD-BFBF-DD8F3A997D60 ** Load and verify Freespace Summary ** Load and verify Block Accounting ** Load and verify Live Virtual Addresses ** Newest transaction commit checkpoint is valid ** Load and verify Segment Cleaning ** The volume 9EE93F75-E7F0-40C2-B562-6A8733A6EB16 appears to be OK