There are 2 Mac French keyboard layouts.

The standard one : enter image description here

And another one : enter image description here

I would like to use the second kind of keyboard on Windows. Meaning now if I plug it, the keys don't match, what gets sent to Windows is not what appears on the keyboard. With the first type of keyboard I could install a "French" "Mac" keyboard layout, that worked well. Thus I am looking for the relevant keyboard layout to install on Windows.

Where can I find it, and what is it called ?

The reason I am saying that the second keyboard is "standard", is because on a Mac, if one takes a US keyboard (with the key shapes like the second picture), and selects "French" as input language, then the mapping is exactly the same as the second picture.

  • What do you mean that you're looking to 'install on Windows'? Do you mean a virtual keyboard or a real keyboard to use on a Windows PC?
    – fsb
    Commented Apr 20, 2017 at 15:59
  • @patrix I don't think this is unclear, I have often seen similar questions. It is common to find that the layout used by windows is not exactly the same as used by a Mac keyboard. Windows provides special layouts for some of them, labeled (Apple). For a non-standard layout as depicted here, you might have to roll your own. Commented Apr 20, 2017 at 18:31
  • @TomGewecke The second keyboard doesn't look like something from Apple at all. If the OP wants to use it with Windows in Bootcamp or within a VM running on macOS, it's borderline on-topic (but might find better answers in other places). If they want to use a non-Apple keyboard on a non-Apple computer (aka PC), it's off-topic (as you mention in your answer).
    – nohillside
    Commented Apr 20, 2017 at 18:35
  • @patrix I agree with the way you describe it, am just assuming it is the borderline on topic case. Commented Apr 20, 2017 at 18:52
  • @TomGewecke reopened, let's see where it leads to
    – nohillside
    Commented Apr 20, 2017 at 19:35

1 Answer 1


You would have to search online for a Windows keyboard called French (Apple). See this note. And it would be for your top picture. Your bottom picture looks non-standard and non-Apple. All European keyboards should be ISO and have the extra key next to the shift in the bottom row.

You might need to make a custom Windows keyboard with the MKLC app.


You should probably really ask in a forum for Windows instead of Mac.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .