Now that MagSafe is dead in favor of USB-C, how many types of MagSafe are there and how do I identify which one matches my computer?


According to Apple, there are three types of MagSafe adapters:

  • "T" Style
  • "L" Style
  • MagSafe 2

The "T" and "L" style are the original MagSafe (or MagSafe 1, if you will) and are compatible with each other.

enter image description here

As for identifying the adapter to your specific model, Apple also provides an excellent support document: Find the right power adapter and cord for your Mac notebook

As for the MagSafe being dead, according to articles written just today about a patent filed by Apple, they may be bringing it back as an adapter (MagSafe to USB-C)

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Upvoted for giving me hope for the future! Just bought the last of the 2015 MacBooks in March because I didn't want to say goodbye to MagSafe, among other things. – miken32 Apr 7 '17 at 5:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .