I'm a huge clutz, and I constantly accidentally destroy electronics. A few days ago, I just barely caught my Macbook Pro as it almost fell off a balcony, and decided I really need insurance for this thing, specifically insurance that covers accidental damage.

The computer was bought over a year ago, so I can't get AppleCare, and from what I understand AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage anyway. The laptop is a 2015 model 15-inch Retina Macbook Pro that costs over $2,000, and I'm terrified I won't be able to pay to repair or replace is should I break it.

How can I add insurance or a warranty of some sort so I won't have to pay for repairs, or at least have repair costs reduced to something manageable, should this happen?

  • 1
    I think this is pretty much off-topic here, but all my 'pricey' gear - computers, musical instruments, cameras etc are covered under the regular household insurance. Don't even have to list everything any more, like they insisted in the past. – Tetsujin Mar 7 '17 at 8:04
  • 1
    I'm in exactly the same situation as @Tetsujin - my home insurance covers all my laptops, iPhones, iPads, cameras, etc for accidental damage. In fact, I'm even covered for damage away from the home on all portable items. – Monomeeth Mar 7 '17 at 10:14
  • @Monomeeth Unfortunately I'm renting my home – TheEnvironmentalist Mar 7 '17 at 10:36
  • 1
    Actually, whether you're renting is irrelevant. It's the home contents insurance policy that covers the items, not the building insurance. If you own your home they're usually bundled together (though not necessarily), but if you're renting then you can still get coverage for your contents - otherwise how would you be covered in the event of fire, theft, etc? – Monomeeth Mar 7 '17 at 10:41
  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is not about Apple Software and is outside the scope of what is defined in What topics can I ask about here?. However, in the interest of good karma, you should check out Safeware for this type of protection. – Allan Mar 7 '17 at 14:06

AppleCare isn't insurance. You should start with Amazon in your country if available and then check your local / national insurance providers to pick a policy that meets your needs.

If you already have renters or homeowners insurance, a rider might be all you need to cover computer equipment for little hassle of shopping for a policy.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .