I am looking to use my existing WD harddrive but use thunderbolt 2 instead of the usb3 A connection. I have looked for cables but all I find is type c ones.

  • Basically you want a USB hub that sits off thunderbolt 2? – Alan Shutko Feb 23 '17 at 22:18
  • Not a hub, just a straight cable connection – Seb K Feb 23 '17 at 22:40
  • I answered, then clicked on the duplicate link... Yep, looks like it's all been covered. :-| – Merlin Feb 24 '17 at 1:33

Thunderbolt is a wholly different connection protocol from USB--it's more like external PCI-Express--so any such cable would need a USB controller built-in. It's almost certainly possible to miniaturize this into a single cable, but I doubt the demand ever existed for a commercial part to make sense; additionally, performance would still be limited by USB's capabilities. Your best bet is probably a Thunderbolt "hub", for instance this USB and eSATA model, or a larger dock such as this one.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .