I successfully installed Chrome on my Mac. However, when I'm trying to start it the browser icon just bounces in the dock once and disappears. Reinstalling, rebooting Mac and other options found on forums didn't help at all. How to fix this problem?
After a lot of investigation, I've finally found the solution (so I decided to put it as an answer here).
You need to open Terminal (Spotlight search - type "terminal") and run the following command:
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome
Not sure if it affects Chrome user data in some way so use it at your own risk, but at least it helped me to run Chrome on macOS. Other approaches that seemed safer didn't work for me.
Other thing is to run Chrome from the Terminal.
$ cd '/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS' $ ./Google\ Chrome &
If the above command doesn't work, Open the Spotlight Search (cmd+space), Enter "/Library/Application Support" . Locate the Google folder, Move to Trash. And reinstall Chrome once again
OK. I did not have the Chrome folder under ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google So I just deleted the "Google" folder under "Application Support" and that fixed it!! deleted the Google folder - re-started Chrome and the Google folder and other folders under it got created
In my case the problem was solved by repairing folder permissions in the
~/Library folder as follows:
- Using Finder, navigate to
- Open the folder info dialog
- In the "Sharing & Permissions" section, unlock the lock by entering credentials
- From the cogwheel drop down menu, select the "Apply to enclosed items..." action
This is what worked for me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7494016 Basically you need to give the Google folder admin privleges in the Application Support folder. Like this:
- Open a finder window or click on the Desktop.
- Hold down SHIFT+COMMAND+G (⇧⌘G) type "~/Library/Application Support". Then click Go
- Find the folder named "Google"
- Get Info (⌘I)
- In the Get Info window click on the lock in bottom right corner Enter your login password (you need to be an admin) and press enter
- Click the + button on bottom left
- From the drop down click on Administrators Then click on select At the bottom of window you should now see admin Under "Name" To the right of amin click on "read only" and change to Read & Write
- Now click on the setting cog and select Apply to enclosed like this