Maybe an ExpressCard?

Is that the way I should do it?

My ports look like this:

enter image description here


Thunderbolt Dock

You can use a Thunderbolt dock / docking station. I have added one to my 2011 Mac mini which has no USB 3.0 ports.

There are many docks available and most of them offer USB 3.0 ports.

Keep in mind that, as far as I know, all docks require an external power source (wall plug), but there are some that don't need one.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

This is the product I use:

Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock for about $200, the predecessor of this version:


Pay attention whether or not a Thunderbolt cable is included. A single cable costs between $30-50.

Thunderbolt to USB adapter

Instead of a Thunderbolt dock you can also buy a TB to USB 3.0 adapter. Kanex produces one that also supports eSATA. However, you won't be able to connect any devices that need to draw power to operate. Think external 2.5" HDDs/SSDs or USB hubs:

Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA + USB 3.0 Adapter, $80

| improve this answer | |
  • Can I suggest it may be worth also mentioning the docking station you have used (brand/model) and maybe including a link (if one exists). – Monomeeth Jan 22 '17 at 22:05
  • Sure, I added the name and a link to the product. I didn't want to make it look like an ad for a specific product/manufacturer. ;-) – oa- Jan 22 '17 at 22:26
  • Wowee! Wasn't aware it was that expensive. Too bad mine wasn't a 2012 :p – Kolob Canyon Jan 22 '17 at 22:50

It won't be cheap! Thunderbolt and USB are different interfaces, so active electronics need to exist in the adapter. One of the most recommended options is this adapter from Kanex.

A few other companies offer similar products at slightly higher price points.

For more information on your question, I'd look at this Ask Different thread.

| improve this answer | |

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .