I have a mac book pro from 2013 (mid 2012 model) the only customisation I have done is install a bigger hard drive. Whenever I go into sharing settings the name of my computer to others is the serial number which makes using air drop confusing when trying to find my computer. I have tried changing it before but whenever my computer goes to sleep then I open it again it has changed back. Please help (I'm running El Capitan)
Just to make sure you're changing your computer name in the right place, follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences
- Click on Sharing
- In the Computer Name field, enter the name you want your computer to use.
- Exit System Preferences
Now, assuming you were already doing that, you should reset your NVRAM.
Reset your PRAM/NVRAM
Older Macs had what's called Parameter RAM (PRAM), newer Macs use Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory (NVRAM). You should definitely reset this to try resolving your issue. Follow these steps:
- Shut down your machine. Yes, a full shut down, not just logging out.
- Press the power button and then press the commandoptionpr keys. You have to make sure you press these keys before the gray screen appears or it won’t work.
- Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
- Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.
Note: When you log back in you may need to readjust some of your system preferences (e.g. mouse speed, time and date/timezone, etc).