Looking for a 'yes this will work effectively' answer rather than opinions on brands or particular printers pros and cons. I am working in a small web dev' office currently providing the creative to a team of 6. Good hardware, server and LAN infrastructure internally which, although Win based, talks to the Mac's OK. Presentation is mostly digital although there is a requirement (at times) to paper visualise at A3, for example, to maintain a printed folio, provide client support and internal marketing. The creative output will driven from either of two i7 Quadcore Macs running OS 10.8, Adobe suite. The quality needs to be good to high although I am NOT expecting production print proofing - if I want that I will get it from my external contractors and generally on final stock.
Requirement details as follows:
- Mac and Windows drivers
- Network compatible via ethernet (WiFi fine as an extra although must be wired LAN primarily)
- Postscript on board (still a feature? - please see below *)
- Print server (?) included in software / drivers. We don't need to admin / manage usage, more for handling the queue if 2/3 people try to print at once - we are all in different rooms.
- Ideally with reasonable processor / RAM to cope with small queues (generally not more than two of us printing at once)
Usage / Speed
- Web and creative team. Relatively small outputs, we mostly use electronic delivery and are a 'green' office so paper use will be 'light'
- Colour and Black / White
- Inkjet is OK as long as reasonable robust (we are tired of Canon error b200 print head faults which turn out to be dried ink and cost £80 to replace!)
- Speed isn't an issue for us and at the PC / Mac end, we are all high powered hardware for initial file processing.
- Draft = for text documents reasonably quickly (light use again, no manuals or heavy print required)
- High Quality = we need a quality output at A3 for creative visuals - good enough to show a client / takeaway / produce minor marketing in the office (posters, info graphics).
(*) Note: the creative work will be coming directly from Acrobat or Indesign CS6 / Cloud on a Macintosh over ethernet. In the past I installed network printers with built in postscript like the Oki B4350n which helped with text rendering. Not sure if this is still required in 2016 or whether the Mac OS / printer driver manages it on the fly, please advise.
Level / Potential Candidates
- Canon PIXMA iX6850
- HP Officejet 7110 Wide Format
- Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
Again, not looking to start a debate on print or build quality, rather a confirm from someone that they have / have used a particular printer in these types of circumstances and it was effective. Any flags, issues or particular models to avoid would also be appreciated.