I have an Early 2015 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11.6 (the latest version of El Capitan) that as of late had started randomly opening a website with the link
fastlauncher.xyz [Thanks John Ramos: wouldn't be a good idea to try going to the link.] It does not happen often.
I have tried:
- to use the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac; it did not detect the adware.
- checking the browser extensions for Safari and Chrome, the two browsers I use; but do not see anything suspicious.
- checking for Login and Startup Items, nothing suspicious
- restarting (I'm getting a bit desperate and maybe it'll work - it didn't)
- using BitDefender (30-day trial); solved the issue
I have not tried:
- using only one browser and seeing whether the adware will go away (hence I am unsure whether it is a system virus or isolated to a browser)
So far, the link has only been opened in Chrome. I would prefer manual removal over a program. Will update this list as I go.