I want to reinstall OS X completely on my machine.
I have backed up all of my documents and made a list of applications that I have, so that I can install them later.
However, one thing that I do not know how to do is how to back my settings up. On a previous occasion, I tried to back the ~/Library/Preferences folder up and restored it on the clean installation, but for the most part it didn't work.
Here are some examples of the scope of what I would like to back up:
- System settings (e.g. trackpad options, sentence highlight color, dock options, three-finger drag option, Accessibility options, etc)
- Keyboard shortcuts (also a part of system settings)
- Printers that I have added (important for me)
- System app preferences (Finder, Safari, Preview, etc.)
- Third-party app preferences (Little Snitch preferences/rules, Bartender preferences, Amphetamine, etc.)
I don't need to back things like Safari bookmarks, emails or calendars up as I use iCloud for them.
Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to do this effectively?