My question is simple, does send last location work even when location services are off? What are the minimal settings one needs to make it work?
Currently this is what I have:
- Location services are always off;
- iCloud sync is off except for find my iPhone;
- In Settings > iCloud > Find my iPhone:
- Find my iPhone is enabled;
- Send last location is enabled;
- Bluetooth is off;
- Cellular network is usually on only when I'm outside; and
- Wi-Fi is usually on only when I'm inside.
Related Update: With the above settings, namely with location services off and the cellular network on, I enabled lost mode via iCloud and, because there is an Internet connection:
- the iPhone automatically enabled location services showing its location on the iCloud map; and
- iCloud sent me an email with the approximate location of the iPhone.
This means one can have location services off, knowing that should the need arise the device can still be found as long as it has access to the Internet.