Is there a simple but meaningful performance index for comparing various generations of MacBooks, and their different configurations, with a focus on everyday graphics and web development work?
I will eventually be looking for a successor to my current work MacBook. I feel like I need as much performance as possible, but the top of the line 15" MBP is too expensive so I'll have to look at a more lightly configured 15", a 13" model, or go one or two generations back.
I would like to find out how well those options would perform compared to my current 2011 model.
I have tweaked my current MBP with more RAM (8 instead of 4 GB) and an SSD, though, so I'd need an actual benchmark program as well as a results table for the various models, so I can measure my machine's actual performance with the tweaks installed.
Is there a benchmark/index that I can put to use?
My typical work day sees
- Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign open, often with huge files
- A fat but indispensable Web IDE (phpStorm, the main battery drain for some reason)
- Chrome with loads of tabs, Safari/other browsers for testing purposes
- Skype, Mail, Scrivener, Calendar almost always open
- HDD and Network intensive helpers - a backup service, dropbox, FTP....