I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with: 2 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. I use it mainly with my Henge Docks vertical docking station and Dell 25-inch UHD monitor with external Apple keyboard. In this setup it works perfectly well. However…
Yesterday, when I have taken my MBP out of the docking station and tried to work just on the notebook without any additional devices attached, it shut down after about 30 mins. No warning message, nothing. Nothing in the system log either - only the BOOT_TIME information after the restart.
In the evening (working from home - no peripherals - just the power adapter) I have experienced another shutdown and then decided to install latest El Capitan patch. After that I have run the built-in diagnostics - no errors found.
I tried to work but there were two more shut downs. After that I did reset the SMC and PRAM, but it did not solve my problem.
Today at work - working with a docking station - computer was stable as rock. No restart - nothing. But when I came home it shut down after about 40-50 mins and then about every 20-30 mins. I have no clue how it can work perfectly well with the lid closed but shuts down without any peripherals attached but with the lid open.
Any clues/hints? I am stuck and desperate (warranty ended long time ago).
- Using WiFi both at work and at home Using Magic Mouse both at work and home Using only external display at work (lid closed in vertical docking station)
- Restarts only outside of docking station (no matter if battery only or power adapter attached)
- Newest El Capitan
- No sign of any error in the system log, Crash Reporter, Diagnostics etc.
- No core dumps (yes, I have increased the soft limit for core dumps)
- Coconut Battery says it has 91% of original capacity and that is healthy
- It shuts down even with effectively idle CPU (just chrome, mail - thats it) so I don’t think it is overheating - the fan is not even turned on
- No message after I power it on again Shutdown looks as follows: screen goes dark (though it still has the backlight), keyboard illumination is on - it stays like that for 5-10 secs and then shuts down. It does not boot up again by itself - need to do it manually.