Using right/left/up/down keys with Fn key can do the same as page down / page up / home / end on a PC.

Some mentioned about using right/left/up/down keys with either option or command key in http://www.apple.com/shop/question/answers/mac/how-can-i-make-the-home-and-end-keys-on-the-apple-extended-keyboard-work-as-line-commands-rather-than-page-commands/Q7HY7K2UFDTUK7J7C . What do they mean under OS X?


1 Answer 1


+← or → jumps to the left/right end of the current line
+↑ or ↓ jumps to the top/bottom of the current page
+← or → jumps to the left/right adjacent word
+↑ or ↓ jumps to the start/end of the paragraph
(all terms are respective)

  • Thanks. Do they only apply to microsoft office software, or to OS X, or to most software on OS X?
    – Tim
    Commented Jun 12, 2016 at 12:49
  • @Tim they should apply globally throughout OS X. Let me check though Commented Jun 12, 2016 at 12:55
  • @Tim they do apply throughout OS X, Microsoft Office, Pages, Numbers, TextEdit... Most if not all OS X applications support these shortcuts. Commented Jun 12, 2016 at 12:59
  • ...and just for completeness, Fn+arrow keys work as pg up/pg down/home/end for up/down/left/right respectively
    – dr.nixon
    Commented Jun 13, 2016 at 19:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .