There is only one .tex file which I would like to restore in my system. My system is El-Capitan 10.11.5 in Macbook Air 2013-mid. Problems
- I have Time Machine backup but it is 3 days old and does not have the latest .tex file that I need.
- There is no sufficient tools in the Internet recovery mode started by ALT-CMD-R. I cannot mount my normal Mac HD partion. There is
FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:...in the type. I can detect its size correctly however. I cannot reach the HD. I cannot even duplicate it to external HD i.e. in the internet recovery mode.
- When I start to reinstall the system in Internet recovery, I see no discs in the stage Select the disk where you want to install OS X. So something badly wrong with partitions.
- I cannot bypass
refindbecause I cannot choose the startup disk. I contacted the developer but he has not provided yet the exact directories/files which to remove for the uninstallation.
Final move in Linux Live USB
- Copy data. Open it in another OS X installation.
- Install Debian Linux on the whole SSD disc.
- Install OS X on the Internet Recovery.
Find OS X disc by
lsblk and do
http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/11264/16920 sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/ubuntu/ntfsDisc/sda.hfs.dmg bs=512 status=progress
so it took 64 minutes about for 70 Gb. You do not need
status=progress. You can ask the status also by
pkill -USR1 -x dd.
I did now full install of Debian for the whole SSD disc. Started internet recovery mode and installed OS X in very small partion of the disc because you cannot resize it easily afterwards. Trying to do any disk partition operations on OS X side etc Disk utility was horrible. Trying to resize also the OSX partition with Ubuntu installation media was horrible, never finished.
How can you recover data when OSX cannot?